In the next in his series on Dunfermline’s Industrial Past, George Beattie tells the history of another business in the town, which supported the Fife linen industry from the mid 1840’s until the 1940’s. “Touch Bleachfields” tells us about how the business operated from it’s site on Halbeath Road and about it’s owners and some of the people who worked there over the years.
In Robert Lindsay and Co. George Beattie presents the next article in his series on Dunfermline’s Industrial Past. This series shows clearly how in the 19th and early 20th Centuries, Dunfermline, like many towns of a similar size, had manufacturing businesses of all types to support the local economy. The Lindsay business produced a wide range of ceramic products for builders, architects, gardeners, farmers and others. In addition the owners and managers, like Robert Lindsay, were often active in local politics and the community.
In Gray & Harrower Ltd, Grain Millers, George Beattie presents the latest in his extensive series of articles on Dunfermline’s Industrial Past. The Harriebrae Mill had a long life, but was used most recently, and until the 1960’s, by a local Grain Merchant. George’s detailed research has unearthed a power of information about the business and the people who made it.
In The Millport Spinning Mill, Sue Mowat tells the story of the varied uses of a building which once stood in Bruce Street, on the site of a medieval meal mill. It was built as a yarn spinning mill and we learn of it’s construction and of what it was like to work there. Later it became a damask weaving shop and finally, a rather insalubrious lodging house.
In a further article in our series on Dunfermline’s Industrial Past, George Beattie writes in “James Stewart and Sons, Builders and Quarrymen” about a highly successful late Victorian stone-mason and businessman. Along with the company he founded, he was responsible for the construction of many of the town’s churches, schools, factories and banks including The Central Baths, St Margaret’s RC Church and, under his son Charles, the War Memorials and the steps at the Abbey West door.
The firm continued until 1961, by which time demand for high quality new building in stone had disappeared.