At the end of the Eighteenth century Scotland, and Dunfermline had very limited school provision, but several religious societies were working to try to improve things. In “The Life and Times of the Poor School of Dunfermline” Jean Barclay describes the short, but not straightforward, history of the Charity or Poor School.
When writing the article about Mary Thomson and the Female Industrial School, a great deal of searching was done to try and find a photograph of Mary or some of her pupils but with no success. This photograph was found in the Journal Almanac 1913, a copy of which is in the Local History Section of Dunfermline Library. Mary retired in 1881 and this picture was probably taken around that time. It is extremely grainy in appearance but perhaps someone has the original print in their photo album? If so please contact the website.
In March 2016 we published a “Did You Know” about Mrs More’s Seminary for Young Ladies in Cairneyhill. Earlier this year, the author, Elaine Campbell received an email from a descendant of one of the pupils, containing further information about the school. Elaine has now written a new article “Mrs More’s Seminary – Revisited” which provides a vivid picture of life there, nearly 180 years ago.
McLean School is one of Dunfermline’s oldest Primary Schools, founded in 1842. John McChlery was it’s headmaster from his qualification to his retirement. In “John McChlery, Headmaster of McLean School 1848 – 1885” Elaine Campbell tells us of his long career, of the early history of McLean and more generally of education in Dunfermline in the 19th Century.
In “Mary Abernethy Thomson“, Elaine Campbell tells us of a pioneering 19th Century Headmistress. Working both before, and after, the reforms brought about by the 1872 Education act she made a huge contribution to girls’ education in Dunfermline.