In The Dunfermline Foundry (1816 to 1892), the latest in his series on Dunfermline’s Industrial Past, George Beattie, reports on his study of this pioneering engineering business in the town. The firm was lead by two influential men, the second of whom, John Whitelaw, became the Provost. Under his leadership, the firm supplied cast iron products to prestigious customers across the UK and overseas.
Our series on Dunfermline’s industrial past continues with an article by George Beattie on the history of Michael Tod and Sons Ltd., Engineers. This firm traded from 1872 to 1960 and was an international supplier of mechanical engineering equipment to the mining and textile industries. They also built, in partnership with George Kay the coach-builder, a prototype three-wheeler car.
In a further article in George Beattie’s series on Dunfermline’s Industrial Past, George presents the history of George Kay and Sons, whose coach-building business ran from 1881 to 1996 and spanned the transition from hand built horse drawn vehicles to automobile accident repairs.
In “William Richmond, Clay Pipe Manufacturer“, George Beattie gives us another article in a series on Dunfermline’s Industrial Past, with the history of a firm which made and sold clay pipes for over eighty years in Dunfermline.
George Beattie, who gave the Society an interesting talk in 2014, has extensively researched the history of Dunfermline’s industrial past. In H&J Philp he shows us a remarkable letter head used by this firm and relates their history.