In “The Chequered History of Dunfermline’s Cokete Seal“, Dr. Jean Barclay reports on the current status of a remarkable object surviving from the reign of King Robert the Bruce.
In The Dunfermline Foundry (1816 to 1892), the latest in his series on Dunfermline’s Industrial Past, George Beattie, reports on his study of this pioneering engineering business in the town. The firm was lead by two influential men, the second of whom, John Whitelaw, became the Provost. Under his leadership, the firm supplied cast iron products to prestigious customers across the UK and overseas.
Our series on Dunfermline’s industrial past continues with an article by George Beattie on the history of Michael Tod and Sons Ltd., Engineers. This firm traded from 1872 to 1960 and was an international supplier of mechanical engineering equipment to the mining and textile industries. They also built, in partnership with George Kay the coach-builder, a prototype three-wheeler car.
We all know that during the reformation, the Abbeys were abolished. Much of Dunfermline Abbey is now ruined, but the Church is, of course, still in use.
But what about the people involved? In this article, Sue Mowat explains the events of the Reformation in Dunfermline and tells us “What Happened to the Monks“.
In a further article in George Beattie’s series on Dunfermline’s Industrial Past, George presents the history of George Kay and Sons, whose coach-building business ran from 1881 to 1996 and spanned the transition from hand built horse drawn vehicles to automobile accident repairs.