In “William Richmond, Clay Pipe Manufacturer“, George Beattie gives us another article in a series on Dunfermline’s Industrial Past, with the history of a firm which made and sold clay pipes for over eighty years in Dunfermline.
George Beattie, who gave the Society an interesting talk in 2014, has extensively researched the history of Dunfermline’s industrial past. In H&J Philp he shows us a remarkable letter head used by this firm and relates their history.
In “Mary Abernethy Thomson“, Elaine Campbell tells us of a pioneering 19th Century Headmistress. Working both before, and after, the reforms brought about by the 1872 Education act she made a huge contribution to girls’ education in Dunfermline.
In response to George Robertson’s article on Lassodie, we received an interesting email from David Allan, whose grandmother was born in Lassodie. He sent us this article concerning two of the men commemorated on the war memorial.
In “A Childhood in Lassodie” George Robertson reports on a conversation he had with Peggy Crawford, who lived her early life in the vanished mining village of Lassodie.